the career development programme is an initiative launched in 2009 by the wco, in cooperation with japan customs. it provides an opportunity for selected candidates, known as professional associates (pa), to undertake work at the wco secretariat for 10 months.
aims of the programme:
- to enable participants to obtain knowledge, skills and international work experience;
- to enhance networks among wco members and the secretariat;
- to strengthen the secretariat in the delivery of its mission and tasks;
- to develop a pool of highly competent officials with customs expertise.
since its launch, over 70 customs officials from different developing countries across the wco’s six regions have benefited from the programme. it has served to promote the involvement of wco members, especially those in which neither of the wco’s two official languages is widely spoken, in various wco activities.
according to feedback, former professional associates have been contributing positively to their administrations and regions on their return home, including acting as a liaison point between their administration and the secretariat.
the nomination process is set out below:
- december - invitation letters sent to developing countries
- march - deadline for submission of nominations
- may - selection process undertaken
- june - results notified to candidates
- september - programme year commences